What Is a Digital Business Card?
A Digital Business card (also referred to as an electronic business card, NFC business card, QR code business card, virtual business card, or mobile business card) is a profile that connects all your digital contact information and is accessible via NFC, QR code, social media, email, or website address. Digital or electronic business cards safely store your contact information in an online format known as .vcf (virtual contact file). This contact information card gives you the ability to conveniently share who you are with anyone you come across in real time.
You can create these cards online or via a digital business card app like Popl and carry virtual business cards on your favorite devices. Smartphones, smartwatches, tablets, laptops, and now Keyports can all be used to share your contact details on the go.
A digital business card provides easy access to:
- Name and profile photo
- Contact details - Email, phone, etc.
- Company details
- Website and marketing materials
- Social media handles
- Business software tools like CashApp and Venmo, messaging tools like Skype, meeting schedulers like Calendly (via subscription)
With a digital business card, you can share clickable links and multimedia. You can also direct people that you meet to follow you on social media, to give you a call, to bookmark your website. You can even ask them to fill out a form with their contact information while all the details on your electronic business card will save directly to your new connection’s contact list.
Your virtual business card can now be the home for all the ways a person can connect with your professional brand and business. On the personal side, an electronic business card is a much smoother and more memorable way to offer your contact info than writing your number on a napkin.
Advantages of a Digital Business Card vs. Paper Business Cards
There are several advantages to a digital business card over paper business cards.
- Convenient - As long as you have your phone or your Keyport with our new Digital ME Key (more on that below) within reach, you will have your digital business card on hand. Since everything is electronic, you don’t need to worry about not having enough paper business cards or or leaving them behind on accident. Digital business cards are also very convenient because unlike traditional business cards, the information is always editable so that you can consistently have up-to-date contact information.
- Save Money - An NFC business card is a very cost effective alternative to a paper business cards which is not inexpensive and need to be re-ordered either when they run out (approximately every year or when your information changes - job, title, address, etc.).
- Eco-Friendly - 88% of paper business cards get discarded within a week. You are taking a small step by no longer supporting the use of our finite resource of trees to create your business cards.
- Save Time and Gain Control Over Information Shared - Digital business cards are easy to update and to focus the receiver on specific information. You can specify exactly what information you would like to share, and you don't have to get new cards when information (like a phone number) changes.
- Fully Customizable - You can add so much more information than what a standard business card could ever hold.
- Automatically Digitize Information - Integrations with CRM and active directories allow you to capture information from those with whom you connect.
- Attribution and Interaction Tracking - Unlike traditional business cards, you can see who actually looks you up and what information they are reviewing.
- Contact-Free - Instead of touching germ-ridden paper business cards, you can exchange information at the tap of a phone or even via a photo of your QR code.
- Stand Out From the Crowd - If being remembered in a sea of fellow networkers is important, then a digital business card is a great way to stand out and make a memorable first impression.
How Does a Digital Business Card Work?
A digital business card is a modern way to share and save contact information in real-time quickly. Once you have created your digital profile and are ready to share it, you simply provide a URL, a QR code, or embed it on a website. Your contact would then click on the link or scan to QR code to access your profile. Alternatively, you can use an NFC enabled device like a phone or Keyport Digital ME Key to tap your contact's NFC enabled device. The recipient would then be granted direct access to your profile on his or her device.
Some free digital business card apps require the recipient to have the same app, but the good ones like Popl allow you to share your contact information without the mobile app as a requirement.
Introducing the Popl x Keyport Digital ME Key NFC Business Card
We spent considerable time evaluating a wide range of digital business cards, and we are excited to announce our partnership with industry leader, Popl. Together, we have created the Popl x Keyport Digital ME Key, a Keyport and keychain compatible NFC-enabled digital business card.
Compact, durable, and stylish, the Digital ME Key fits seamlessly in a Keyport Pivot alongside your keys or on the side of a Slide using the RFID Key Module. The Digital ME Key also features a QR code in case your contact does not have an NFC enabled device.
Why Did We Choose Popl?
After researching several solid digital business card options, we chose Popl for several reasons:
1. Popl's digital profile is the most comprehensive we have found.
2. It is also has one of the best user interfaces we have come across.
3. The app has a strong free version that will cover most people's standard use cases, but there is also a great PRO subscription for only $7.99 per month with a 2 week trial to add more features and functionality. Use code KEYPORT20 for 20% OFF the annual subscription.
Here is overview of the FREE vs. PRO versions.
Use partner code KEYPORT20 for 20% OFF your subscription on Popl here.
You can also use the code to purchase other Popl enabled devices here.
4. Popl has the most customizable integrations for connecting CRMs, HR platforms, and marketing flows with over 5,000 integrations via their Zapier app.
5. Popl offers SMB through enterprise solutions with Popl Teams. Popl Teams offers team and device management, instant onboarding, powerful integrations, and measurable ROI at events.
5. Popl provides excellent customer service online with its FAQs and Help Center as well as its phone or email support.
Here is a summary of Popl vs. Others:
How does Popl work?
First you build your Popl profile - which is your digital business card. Then you connect your Popl x Keyport Digital ME Key to it in order to enable you to exchange your digital business card with others via a quick tap or by scan of your QR-code. You can also choose from a wide range of Popl's other products like the Phone Tag, Card, or Band.
How do you use Popl?
It's easy! Just tap or scan your Digital ME Key on someone’s phone and a link will come up. They click the link and are brought to your digital business card. Your digital business card includes contact information as well as social media profiles and everything else you might want to include.
If your contact does not have an NFC enabled device, they can scan your QR code which is located on your Digital ME Key.
How much does Popl cost?
The Popl x Keyport Digital ME Key costs $19.99 and includes Popl's free version. Popl's PRO version costs $7.99 per month. You can receive 20% OFF by using our partner discount code KEYPORT20 here.
What phones can my Popl product and Popl QR code share to?
Keyport's Digital Me Key and other Popl products use NFC technology and can share to any iPhone XR, XS, 11, 12, 13 or SE (2nd generation), or 14 with just a single tap. Popl products can also share to most Androids on the market today, as long as the Android has NFC turned on. See how to pop to all devices here: https://popl.co/faq
Popl QR codes (PopCodes) can share to all iPhones and every Android that can read QR codes (over 90%). PopCodes are very consistent, have unlimited scans and can be customized. See all compatible phones here: https://popl.co/phones
Does the person I’m meeting need an app to receive my info?
No! That’s one of the great things about Popl. The other person doesn’t need an app or a Popl product to receive your info. In addition to NFC, you have a QR code or you can just give the person your link, and your profile will open in their browser, which every smartphone has.
Does Popl require a subscription to use?
No, Popl does not require a monthly subscription in order to use and benefit from Popl products. Popl offers Popl Pro and Popl Teams subscriptions, but those are for additional business features and are completely optional.
How do I connect my business info to my Popl product or QR code?
Using the Popl app, you can set up your digital business card for free right now. Once you create your digital business card, you can use your in-app QR code to start sharing immediately.
For the Popl x Keyport Digital ME Key, you will activate the device to your digital business card and all of your info will connect.
Can I have more than one Popl product activated to my digital business card?
Yes! You can activate an unlimited number of products to your single digital business card.