How To Keep Your Physical & Digital Personal Items Secure 🔐
Posted by DAVID COOPER
While Keyport products are designed for utility, convenience, and style, security is also a key component. Here are a few suggestions to keeping your physical and digital items, including your identity, secure:
1. Take password protection seriously. Don't use the same password for everything, and make sure to use longer passwords (min. 8 characters) with a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters. Here's a good article on the importance of strong, secure passwords by Secure Data Recovery as well as list of password suggestions.
1Password is an easy way to store and use strong passwords. In addition to a desktop version, they have browser based versions for macOS, Windows, Chrome OS, and Linux. They also have phone and tablet (iOS, Android) options too. Try 1Password for FREE!
Personal Identity Protection
2. DO NOT connect to public WiFi if possible. If you have to, make sure you're using a VPN like Proton VPN. Check out the Wall of Sheep, a DEF CON classic, if you want to see what can happen to your information on a public WiFi network.
3.Beware of phishing attacks as they are rampant in both email and text.
Two Factor Authentication (2FA)
4. Add two-factor authentication to protect yourself from identity theft wherever you can. Use a YubiKey to protect your digital life using the industry leading two-factor authentication (2FA) security key.
Make sure you check out the YubiKey x Keyport Pivot 2.0 key organizer while you are at it.
Crypto & NFT Security
5. If you are into digital currency, move your crypto and NFTs to a hardware wallet. It is important to understand that if a company holding your crypto in an account goes into bankruptcy, there is a possibility that your account gets liquidated as part of the proceedings. In other words, crypto accounts are not like bank accounts which are protected by the FDIC. Storing your crypto offside in a hard wallet is a big step in protecting your assets. Just don't forget your password like this guy or lose it like this guy.
Here are some of the top crypto / NFT hardware wallets:
- Arculus Crypto Key Card
- Ledger Nano S Hardware Wallet
- Check out Keyport's adapter for the Ledger Nano S Plus and S to make it Pivot compatible
- Ledger Nano X Crypto Hardware Wallet
RFID Blocking / RFID Shielding
6. Incorporate RFID blocking technology into your everyday carry to protect your cards and to avoid location detection.
Here are a few great RFID shielding wallets and cards:
- TRAVANDO RFID Blocking Wallet
- Silent Pocket Card Wallet
- ARW RFID Blocking Hardware Wallet
- VAULTCARD RFID Blocking Credit & Debit Card Protection
You can also place your phone in an RFID shielding bag to make avoid being tracked when you don't want people knowing where you are all the time. Check out this article on 5 reasons you need a faraday bag by OffGrid as well as a link to their store on Amazon.
Here are three top quality RFID shielding bags from Silent Pocket aka SLNT:
- Silent Pocket 5 Liter Faraday Dry Bag
- Silent Pocket Waterproof Faraday Backpack
- Silent Pocket Mini Waterproof Faraday Phone Sleeve Dry Bag
7. Cover your video cameras when you're not using them. If Zuck is doing it to protect his privacy and security, you probably want to consider doing it too.
Here are a few solid camera cover solutions.
- Silent Pocket Webcam Privacy Stickers for Camera Lens Privacy
- CloudValley Laptop Webcam Cover
- Laptop & Mobile Phone Web Cam Cover (9-Pack)
Key Management & Security
8. Switch out your bulky keychain with a Keyport Pivot. It covers your keys so no one can copy your key(s) with a quick photo. Yes, it happens. KeyportID is the only lost & found solution on the market that connects owners and finders directly and anonymously.
With advancements in technology comes new ways to hack and steal. Here are a couple of good places to keep up-to-date on the latest happenings:
- Federal Reserve Consumer Health - Frauds & Scams
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) - Scam Alerts
This is not limited to your place of employment. Individuals are targets just a much, if not more so these days. So, it is critical to keep up with the latest scams and to protect yourself with the latest security measures.